[weboob] Weboob and JavaScript

Romain Bignon romain at symlink.me
Sun Dec 24 13:52:09 CET 2017

Hi,

On 21/Dec - 11:49, Richard Stallman wrote:
> 								      The only
>   > exception is for the PayPal authentication, which requires to install a
>   > Javascript engine like nodejs.
>
> Can you help me understand this particular issue better?
>
> node.js is free software, right?  So the user's need to install
> node.js is not, in itself, a problem at all.  It is ok as a
> dependency.
>
> However, what about the specific JS code that operates with node.js?
> Where does that code come from?  Is it part of the PayPal
> authentication module?  If so, is it free software (I would expect
> so).
>
> Or does it come from some web site?  Which site, or sites?

Sometimes, weboob needs to execute the JS from websites to work, because of
weird anti-scrapping protections.  It is the case for PayPal, for which we use
node.js to execute the javascript fetched from the website to authenticate.  The
javascript code is not included in weboob, it is executed by weboob the same way
that browsers do.