[weboob] [RFC] WebSearch capability

Flo weboob at flo.fourcot.fr
Thu Jun 5 10:36:29 CEST 2014

Hello,

Le 05/06/2014 09:08, Guilhem Bonnefille a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> AFAIK Weboob does not propose a general web search feature
> (application, capabiliy and modules). Such feature would allow to fire
> web searches directly from CLI or integrated in third-party
> applications.

I'm not really convinced with the web searches from CLI. At the end, you
will use a real browser to open the results of the search. We can of
course export the results in a web page or something like that, but we
will not be better than another meta-search engine.

> As a more advanced user, I would appreciate to be able to integrate my
> "private" search engines. For example, in a corporate environment, I
> have access to many search engines: one for looking on a document
> archive, a blog platform, some mailing-list archives, many project
> specific wikis.
> For such user, some generic modules offering some configuration would
> be great. For example, an OpenSearch module allowing to declare many
> search engine following such standard, a DokuWiki module allowing a
> simple declaration of DokuWiki instance, a MediaWiki module, etc.

This feature is probably not to hard to implement: we only have to code
an application using all the search methods available.
However, the main issue of Weboob is that we do not scale to a large
number of website. Since we have to code a module for each website (or
at least, to configure it as a module).