[weboob] [RFC] WebSearch capability

Guilhem Bonnefille guilhem.bonnefille at gmail.com
Thu Jun 5 09:08:32 CEST 2014

Hi,

AFAIK Weboob does not propose a general web search feature
(application, capabiliy and modules). Such feature would allow to fire
web searches directly from CLI or integrated in third-party
applications.

As a standard user, I would like to be able to search on giant web
search services like Google, Bing or DuckDuckGo. Such services could
be classically implemented as modules.

As a more advanced user, I would appreciate to be able to integrate my
"private" search engines. For example, in a corporate environment, I
have access to many search engines: one for looking on a document
archive, a blog platform, some mailing-list archives, many project
specific wikis.
For such user, some generic modules offering some configuration would
be great. For example, an OpenSearch module allowing to declare many
search engine following such standard, a DokuWiki module allowing a
simple declaration of DokuWiki instance, a MediaWiki module, etc.

As a base of work, I can suggest the Seeks project, for wich I hacked
a DotClear plugin few years ago.
http://beniz.github.io/seeks/

PS: I have to admit that I'm currently unable to progress on Weboob
integration in totem because my personnal devel computer is out of
order, expecting replacement. So, I have time for thinking about other
ideas.
--
Guilhem BONNEFILLE
-=- JID: guyou at im.apinc.org MSN: guilhem_bonnefille at hotmail.com