[weboob] weboob removal

Pierre Mazière pierre.maziere at gmail.com
Fri Feb 24 14:36:55 CET 2012

On Fri, Feb 24, 2012 at 02:23:46PM +0100, Laurent Bachelier wrote:
> On 2012-02-24 14:02, Pierre Mazière wrote:
> > basically you need to explain why weboob is a relevant name for this
> > framework and that havesex does nothing else but describing the
> > purpose of the application.
> > Other considerations such as sexism accusations should be considered as bigotry.
> > In french, "Debian" can be heard as "des bi ânes" which could mean "bisexual
> > donkeys" or "stupid bisexuals" ... how relevant, isn't it ?
>
> What really bothers me is that we don't even have a clear definition of
> what (and why) is considered "sexist".
>
> Weboob has a clear meaning (WEB Out Of Browsers), the name is
> established, so it's not gonna change just for Debian. If "boob" is so
> offensive, we could name it WebOOB in the description. Nevermind that
> liboobs, pornview, sextractor, libsexy, libmoosex, libass, are in
> Debian, and some don't even have a real meaning behind.

that's exactly what I meant: one person considered weboob as offensive.
this is nothing else but bigotry, considering other packages in debian.
To be honest, I agree that the sexually oriented icon scheme does not
help weboob related communication. But this is not up to debian to tell
author how to name their software or choose their icon policy.

> I would suggest to:
> * change the name of havesex, it's not very good anyway

agree, but this should be a Romain decision, not something dictated by
debian considerations

> * add warnings (like on purity-off / openarena, as they said)
I don't see the relevance of such warnings: do browsers allowing to
browse sexually explicit web sites have such warnings ?
Weboob is just a tool to present information from various websites,
in the same way browsers do.

> * explicitly ask for comments: that way, we will have more information
>    (or the package will be approved due to lack of explicit refusal)

this can't hurt