[weboob] Request to change the license of Weboob to AGPL

Laurent Bachelier laurent at bachelier.name
Wed Apr 6 12:22:33 CEST 2011

While this is completely true, the question is more "do we think the FSF
will produce a good evolution of the AGPL/GPL3?".

There are things to consider: the more weboob will evolve, the harder it
will become to contact all contributors to change the licence. What if
the APGL4 produces interesting enhancements? It would be very hard to
change to it given the growing number of contributors (think of the
Linux kernel, which is tied to the GPLv2 and for instance can't reuse
OpenSolaris code for ZFS).

We are pretty much chosing the only licence weboob (or at least its
core) will ever have. While I am too unsure about a new AGPL/GPL
license, it think it would be damageable to have no change possible of
the licence.

Do note that it's the *users* who chose the effective licence, if they
want to stick to the GPLv3 they can.